I finally finished the instructions to make for the Mermaid Costume... well just the fin actually, I guess once the days are warmer here I will make the other part of the costume :D.
You will need:
- fabric (the yardage will depend on the size, but for you to have an idea, for a 3 years size I use less than 1 yard)
- about 1/2 yard of gauze
- elastic (your kid waist circumference - 25%)
- thread of matching color
- sewing machine
Measure your kid (or you can also use a pant that fits your kid). Take the measurement from waist to feet and the measurement of the waist circumference.
Draft the pattern pieces: I will explain how to draft half piece for each pattern, when you cut the pieces out of fabric you will need to fold the fabric in half and cut the pattern pieces over the fold.
1. draft a rectangle where width is 1/4 of the waist circumference measurement + 1 1/2 inch, and height is the measure you took from waist until feet.
2. measure 4 inches from bottom edge. Trace a line as shown in the diagram.
3. Cut along the line your previously drafted.
4. Then you are ready to use this pattern to cut 2 pieces for the tail ON FOLD. So you will have 2 pieces like the one in Diagram step 4.
1. Draft a rectangle; 10 inches height and 15 inches width.
2. Measure 1 inch from bottom edge. Draft a slightly curved line; cut along the line.
3. Measure 5 inches from top edge. Draft a straight line; cut along the line.
4. Now you are ready to use this pattern to cut 2 pieces for the fin ON FOLD (as shown in the diagram). Cut 2 pieces out of the same fabric you used for the tail and 2 pieces out of gauze. So you will have 4 pieces like the one in Diagram step 5.
So now you just have to sew the pieces:
1. Take both front pieces of the fin together; main fabric and gauze. Align the edges. Sew a row of long stitches along the top edge (V shape), leave about 3 inches of thread on each end to gather the fabric.
Repeat this step with the back pieces of the fin.
2. Gather the top edge of the fin until it reaches the size of the V shape of the tail.
3. Lay the fin over the tail; so that the outside layer of the fin (gauze) is facing the outside of the tail. Use pins to secure in place and sew along the edge.
4. Take both; front and back pieces together, right side facing. Align the seams and sew along the edge from top of the tail until bottom of the fin.
5. Fold the top edge of the tail 1/4 inch towards the right side and press, the fold 1/2 inch again and press, sew along the edge leaving an opening and sleep an elastic though the opening all the way around the wast. Sew to close the opening and you are done!
I hope you like it!!